Tasty Banana Punch
“Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.” I Corinthians 10:31
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend for about 2 minutes maximum.
2. Serve chilled and enjoy.
Sis. Ann-Marie Ballantyne
VEGAN QUINOA PILAF
In Daniel 1:12 Daniel and the three (3) Hebrew Boys in captivity under King Nebuchadnezzar asked for Pulse to eat and water to drink as a part of a healthier vegan diet they chose in place of flesh foods. "Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink.”
Quinoa brings 'Pulse' to mind because it is actually a grain crop grown primarily for its edible seeds but whose leaves, left to grow are eaten as a leaf vegetable. PULSE in the Hebrew is "Zeroa" from "Zara" which means "Something sown, i.e. a vegetable (as food)- See link to Strong's Concordance. It is also related to Zera, the word for "seed" used in Genesis 1:29 where God gave man a Vegan diet for food (or eating-Greek- Oklah)The first time I ate Quinoa was in 2013 when I was in the UK on a mission trip. I believe it was a reddish color one and I liked this grain like food which seemed like a good substitute for rice. Recently, a good friend gave me some Quinoa (the white one this time) and I decided to create a pilaf style dish with it. Pilaf is also called Pilau, Pelau and other similar names and is used to refer usually to a rice dish cooked in a seasoned broth, to which meat and even seafood is sometimes added. This is Vegan Quinoa Pilaf.
1 cup dried Quinoa (pre washed)
2 cups water
1 diced onion
1 carrot (grated)
Mushrooms (cut in small pieces)
Green (sweet) peppers
Saffron powder (I used very little. You can use more to get a more yellow color)
1/4 of a 1 block tofu
juice of half of a small lime.
(You may add other herbs such as parsley or cilantro and some even add diced tomatoes (without the sauce) at the end).
Note: I prepared Quinoa by itself, then prepared veggies with mushrooms separately and stirred in. Tofu was also prepared separately.
1. Drain and cut Tofu in pieces and place to rest on paper towel to dry up some water. Sprinkle cayenne and fine salt on it to season.
2. Saute onions, garlic and pieces of ginger in coconut oil and then add dried, pre-washed Quinoa to the pot. If it is not pre-washed, please wash in room temperature water.
3. Add water (I used hot water from the kettle), saffron powder, salt or soy sauce and as it comes to a boil, turn heat on low and cook for about 12-15 minutes. (usually it is 1 cup Quinoa to 2 cups water).
4. While Quinoa is cooking, dust tofu pieces lightly in some whole wheat flour and fry to brown until golden brown in color. (confession, because my salt was almost nil, I put fried tofu in a shallow marinade of soy sauce and grated ginger and a little brown sugar to hang out until the Quinoa was finished)
5. Saute onions, garlic in oil. Add carrots, Green (sweet) peppers, mushrooms (in pieces) and sweat in oil. (you may add any other seasonings here that you like, such as cayenne pepper, cumin etc.).
When Quinoa is cooked it should fluff easily when you use a fork. the grains will swell but not too big.
6. Add veggie mix to quinoa, distribution veggies throughout. You may use broccoli pieces and other colorful veggies in this pilaf also)
7. Add tofu pieces to Quinoa-Veggie mix and distribute throughout.
8. You may add more soy sauce and raw ginger (I like raw ginger and garlic) at the end.
9. Add lime juice and mix in et Voila! You have a Vegan Quinoa Pilaf.
This meal was not only delicious but I found it rather light on the stomach and satisfying. I prefer it over rice and now I want to eat more Quinoa. Smile. If you can access it, incorporate it into your Diet today. We are told that Quinoa "contains iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and fiber. It is one of only a few plant foods that are considered a complete protein and comprised of all pernine essential amino acids. Quinoa also has a high protein to carbohydrate ratio when compared to other grain products. It was proposed by NASA to be an ideal food for long duration space flights."
"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31. I thank God, that despite the many conspiracies in Health and Food freedoms going from us, He has preserved for us healthy foods of which we can still partake. May you know this diet today to bless you and that you may be saved through conversion of the Holy Spirit and obedience in good health practice. Amen.
Sis. Anesia Baptiste
VEGAN MEDITERRANEAN RECIPES