REPENTANCE, CONFESSION AND FORGIVENESS
1. YHWH God our Creator and Savior requires sinner man to repent, He commands it of us; for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and our sins have separated us from Him. Acts 17:30, Romans 3:23 and Isaiah 59:2.
2. “He urged upon men the necessity of prayer, repentance, confession and the abandonment of sin.” E.G. White Christian Education pg. 74.
3. God must first give us convictions of our sins by His Holy Spirit in order for us to confess. Confession must be made which is the acknowledgement of the sins we have committed, for with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. John 16:8; Romans 10:10, psalms 51:3, 1 John 1:9
4. David understood fully what His Maker required of him as a sinner, that he prayed asking God to wash him thoroughly from his sins. He knew that only God can forgive sins. When God non-imputes the sin, by removing the carnal mind, He imputes the spiritual mind which gives you the experience of eternal life and everlasting peace (this is forgiveness). When He gives the spiritual mind in the heart we receive the Holy Spirit. When this is done in the man, he ceases to transgress the Law of God and becomes obedient to the Law; and the Law is the truth. Psalms 51:2,7,10,12,6; Psalms 119:142; Romans 4:6-8; (Romans 8:6-8, Galatians 3:7-9,14, I John 3:24)
5. God says when we repent and believe the gospel; He will forgive us, not believing alone but repent and believe. Mark 1:15 and Acts 19:4
6. If we do not repent and believe, believing that Jesus is God our only savior from sin, we will die in our sins and be lost. Matthew 1:21, John 8:24
7. Repentance is also good news, glad tidings, or the gospel that must be a part of our daily experience for our salvation. Luke 8:1 Romans 10:15
8. Forgiveness means to be justified from sins. WE ARE MADE SINFREE. Hence, Sin no longer reigns in us; God in us keeps us from sinning as we abide in the truth daily. John 8:34,36,32, Romans 6:6,7,11,12, Jude 1:24, 1 John 3:9
I thank God for giving us repentance that we can be at peace with God our maker, for God has given us His graces so that we may live away from sinning against Him. The sinner who loves his sin hates God and will not repent, will die in his sins. I implore you by the grace and mercies of God to repent and believe the gospel for salvation from sin, that causes you to live soberly, righteously and godly in this present world before Christ’s return.
Bro. Maydon Paris