CONFESSION ALSO MEANS FORSAKING OF SINS
“If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.” 1 Jn.1:6-10.
1. What fellowship can we have with God if God is not in us? None! We would be found liars if we claim such. For, God is Truth and Light; and light hath no fellowship with darkness (spiritual darkness is sin). (Deuteronomy 32:4; 1John 1:5); 2 Corinthians 6:14, 17; Acts 26:18.
2. To have fellowship with God, we must have Him in us; and we must walk or abide in the truth. God dwells in us by His Word which is the truth. 1John.1:3; 2 John 4; John 17:17.
3. This abiding experience is a mutual-inness, the word in me and I in the word. John 15:4, 5, 7.
4. John used ‘Light’ to give a certain understanding as to how we must view the truth. John1:6-9, 14.
(We must understand that light is always shining or always giving knowledge or truth) “For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.” Psalm 36:9.
“Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed. Isaiah 56:1.
5. Jesus is the Light shining out or giving us the knowledge of God. John.1:18; (John 14:7-9)
6. The Light is the word. John1:1, 4, 8,9,14.
7. The blood of Jesus cleanseth us from all sins, the Bible shows blood symbolizes life. Leviticus 17:11
8. The word (life) is knowledge of God and Christ. Jn.17:3; 1 John 5:20; 2 Peter 1:1,2 .
9. This knowledge is revealed to us though His Son Jesus Christ. Thus, Jesus is the Revelator, who reveals God to man. Numbers 6:25; 2 Corinthians 4:3-6; Matthew 11:27; Revelation 1:1,5.
10. So Jesus’ life gives me the knowledge of God (The Divine Nature) 2 Peter 1:4; and the knowledge of Christ (The Divine Character) Hebrews 1:3; 2 John 9
11. Therefore, as this beautiful knowledge is revealed to our mind, we can now make genuine confession of our sins unto God through Jesus Christ. 1 John.1:9.
(When we confess our sins we receive from God Forgiveness and cleansing, which is sinfreeness.)
12. Confession also involves the forsaking of the sins. “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.” Proverbs 28:13
13. Here is an example of one who forsook his sins (Paul). Acts 9:1-8,19,20,22, Acts 26:19, 20.
14. An example of one who forsook not his sins. (King Saul) 1 Samuel 15:24, 26 30.
15. This knowledge of God gives me hope in knowing that I will have forgiveness of my sins when I confess them to Him through Christ. I must always have truth in my mind – This is my constant forsaking of my sins. Philippians. 4:8, 9, 7.
16. The constant confessing and forsaking of our sins before God daily is to ultimately have all our historical past sins blotted out in the investigative Judgement. Psalm 32:5,6,( Psalm 34:1; Psalm 145:1, 2, 18); Acts 3:19.
17. I must always have an experience of thankfulness or gratitude to God for His loving kindness, His forgiveness and all the Truths revealed unto me for me to have genuine confession of my sins to Him. Ephesians 5:19, 20; Colossians 3:17; 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
May the knowledge of God and Christ as presented in this short Bible study help you to have genuine confession and forsaking of all your sins; and may you have hope as God promises that "He (God) is faithful and Just to forgive you and to cleanse you from all unrighteousness", in order that you may have all your historical past sins blotted out in the investigative Judgement, in Jesus name. Amen.
Br. Maydon Paris